Upper Academy (4-8)
Gary Upper Academy serves 500 students in the fourth through eighth grades. Our mission is to unlock the full potential of every student.
Fulfilling Our Mission
Our staff is committed to:
- inspiring lifelong learners;
- progressing technologically;
- motivating students;
- fostering a student-centered culture;
- providing a safe, equitable learning environment that includes high-quality facilities for students and staff;
- welcoming parent and community involvement;
- teaching the life skills necessary for success;
- cultivating responsible citizens; and
- improving continually.
We encourage our scholars to persevere and take intellectual risks in their academics by attempting challenging tasks despite the degree of difficulty. We teach our scholars to walk in kindness towards each other with humility, compassion, and understanding. We cultivate excellence by ensuring our scholars understand their role in the vision and mission of Gary Lighthouse Upper Academy.
At Gary Lighthouse Upper Academy We:
- persevere through all academic challenges;
- are intellectual risk-takers;
- walk in compassion towards each other; and
- walk in excellence.
We endeavor to:
- ensure all students are avid readers and writers;
- promote critical thinkers;
- foster curiosity;
- value collaborative learning and thinking;
- deliver explicit instruction;
- provide authentic, relevant learning experiences; and
- provide high-quality instruction and a standards-based curriculum that ensures personalized learning success in mathematics for all GLUA students.
Our mathematics program encourages investigation and problem solving and mastery of basic operations and concept application, which includes place value, measurement, time, graphs, fractions, decimals, money, algebra, and geometry. The math curriculum provides students with the math skills necessary for successful living in society and the ability to engage in mathematical practices.
We utilize Expeditionary Learning, a comprehensive, standards-based core literacy language arts curriculum that engages teachers and students through compelling, real-world content and builds equitable and inclusive learning opportunities for all students.
Extracurricular Programs and Activities
Scholars attending our Upper Academy have the opportunity to participate in a variety of programs and activities including: